Wednesday, January 21, 2009

As for our common defense, we reject as false the choice between our safety and our ideals.--President Barack H. Obama, from his inaugural address.


It's President Obama, y'all. Finally! There's a new man in the white house and he's already started with Guantanamo. Yes, in one of his first official acts President Obama (I can say President Obama over and over again...President Obama, President Obama....) has halted the trials of Guantanamo detainees for 120 days. He had vowed to close down the place, but that is a more complex and time-consuming task. So we'll wait and watch...and hope.

As I looked at the sea of people who came to the mall in Washington to watch and hear an exceptional man take office I wondered how Obama felt with this huge burden of expectations upon him. Did he feel like he was drowning with the millions of eyes upon him, a billion expectations of him? I know he will disappoint many, perhaps even me, with some of his actions. It is not possible to live up to these great expectations. But I hope that President Obama gives it his best shot, that he goes after our issues with the same level-headedness and intelligence with which he ran his campaign. He might not do everything he needs to do, everything he should do, but I hope he restores some ethics, some responsibility, some class to the office he holds. And that he helps to make the US and the world better.

We are watching President Obama, and our best wishes and our support are with you as were our votes. Please make us proud.

1 comment:

judith bussey said...

Go Obama!

I was astonished with the millions of people who formed the sea of "tranqquility, and no demonstrations what so ever. The crown was all colors which looked better. I get so sick of seeing only white faces at our national events.

I will watch President Obama with optimism.But also with an eye to the danger that will surround him and his family.

Please keep us posted on his progress. Your perspective means much to me since you can provide an international perspective that I often miss.

I was in B'Ham for 4 days with the Gurdjieff Group there.I wasn't able to blog and miss the process. I have some drafts started: Quilts, Finding Meaning in my Past, and more.

I'll start today.

I don't understand the technology behind measuring or counting hits. Please advise.

I stayed with Betty in B'ham and she loved your God/Kentucky story. We laughed all the way through it. At first I told her I didn't think it was so funny, but reading it aloud was hilarious.

She likes your writing style and we both decided to read Jewell of Medina and stay in touch with your Banned Book Group.

I miss you already,
Peace,
Judy