Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Rejection Dejection



To avoid the fate of the author in this cartoon I've decided that for every rejection of a query, partial or complete manuscript I received I will send out at least one new query. Yes, my complete manuscript was rejected from two major agents but then, hey, this was the first time that these two agents had asked for the complete manuscript. I had gotten prompt HELL NOs from them for Burden.

I guess I feel more like the third runner up in a pageant and not the girl who never even made the first cut. Still hurts, but at least you can console yourself with, 'hey, at least I made it thus far,' and not feel like so much of a loser. Humpphhh

This strategy is keeping me going. *And* I've had three more requests for complete manuscripts, two just from the query, without even reading a partial (which is good and bad: i.e., did I just write a good query for a crap book? Yikes!). Here's the tally now:

Total queries: 27
No responses after 8 weeks: 6
Rejection on query: 5
Request for partials/rejections: 4/1
Request for complete/rejections: 4/1
New queries sent: 8


Onward ho!

4 comments:

Bina said...

Oh honey... if you think this is bad, wait til you get your agent (because you will) who submits your manuscript to the publishers and THEY reject you. Those rejections sting a million times worse than the ones by agents. I'm at that stage and I am reduced to tears and contemplation of quitting, suicide, etc every time my agent tells me I've been rejected and QUOTES FROM THE EMAILS of the publishers as to why. You have all that ahead of you still, so enjoy this process, because it all gets much, much worse...

Jawahara said...

I know...I know...I am deliberately trying to block off the prospect of after.

When I had my other agent I thought I was so ready to be published. And then the rejections started coming. You are right, they really reduce you to tears.

I am keeping my fingers crossed for you. Did the Random House editor get back to you yet?

Bina said...

Yep, a rejection!

Unknown said...

Oh no! I'm so sorry. It's depressing to hear of good writers being rejected while some crap makes it through. Hope your agent is submitting to a ton of other publishers.