Friday, February 08, 2008

Writing Exercise I: A passive-aggressive exchange mostly in dialog (husband and wife)

I want to record some of the writing exercises I did at the conference since I tend to throw out scraps of paper and because maybe one of these might be the genesis of a story or something down the road.

He looked at the little screen, flashing 'Home,' then waited to pick up the phone just as the tinny Lone Ranger tune reached its final crescendo.

"Hi sweetie."

"Hi honey. How much longer do you think you'll be at work?"

He looked at the clock on his computer.

"Uh...ummm...maybe another half hour. Why?"

"No...nothing really. Hmmm...."

"What?"

"I was thinking we could order pizza. Pepperoni okay?"

"Pizza? I thought you said you were going to cook today."

"Why pizza?"

"That's what I asked."

"Well...if you don't know."

"I don't know. I never know."

Her sigh sounded loud in his ear.

"Well if you must know it's because I just threw the T-bone and asparagus in the trash."

"What? Why?"

"You know why."

"I don't."

That sigh again.

"Well...you had told me you'd be home by now so I timed dinner and I don't want you to eat cold, rubbery steak. I shouldn't have cooked it....but I so wanted you to walk in and see dinner on the table. I should know better I guess. It doesn't matter though...pizza will be fine, right?"

"Fine."

1 comment:

the mad momma said...

:D good one!